Welcome
Welcome to <strong>militarianz</strong>.

You are currently viewing Militarianz as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Chromed Grenade

weapons and weapon related items

Moderator: woodsy

Chromed Grenade

Postby Spike » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:21 pm

Hi all
Thought I'd post this grenade that a mate of mine just received from a cousin in the South Island.It was always chromed since they had it and used as an ornament like my mate is doing with it and he doesn't want to part with it either,I tried.
Anyway can someone tell me a little history of this grenade if thats possible and are all grenades that have been drilled like this,are they practice grenades or just defused.
Thanks for any comments.

Regards
Spike
Attachments
IMG_0036.JPG
IMG_0036.JPG (98.61 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
IMG_0035.JPG
IMG_0035.JPG (112.08 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
IMG_0033.JPG
IMG_0033.JPG (121.75 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
Spike

Re: Chromed Grenade

Postby Spike » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:24 pm

last pic
Attachments
IMG_0037.JPG
IMG_0037.JPG (103.54 KiB) Viewed 1362 times
Spike

Postby woodsy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:39 am

Spike, your grenade is a WW2 NZ made version of the mills No. 36 Grenade. The holes drilled in the side are to show that it is now inert. The base plug has a threaded hole in the centre to attach the circular plate when the grenade was used with the SMLE Cup Discharger. The two holes on either side of it are for the plug spanner which was bent from 3/16" steel wire, one of which was included with every case of grenades. The plug was unscrewed before use to insert the primer, then refitted. The marks on the lever (NPZ) indicate manufacture by the Precision Engineering Company of Wellington. The cast iron grenade bodies were made is several different NZ foundries during the war.
woodsy

Postby Spike » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:53 pm

Hi Woodsy
Thanks very much for your informative reply,I and my mate are greatful to know more about this grenade.
Shame it has been chromed,I've had a couple of Third Reich buckles that have been chromed,bummer people see the need to do this to an original piece.
Anyway,thanks again.

Regards
Spike
Spike

Postby MG34NZ » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:58 pm

Hi Spike, just a bit more info on the grenade to add to what Woodsy has to offer,the grenade body was cast by Booth and McDonald in Christchurch, Booth Mac water pumps may ring a bell to you as this was the same firm.The base plug is from Mason and Porter (Masport) who had a foundry in Auckland. The holes in the body denote the grenade as being made as a Drill Purpose/training grenade so it was never loaded and original finish would have been a zinc coating. There are a great many drill grenades out there,they must have been a VERY popular souvenir!

Regards

Andrew
looking to buy Grenades and Militaria
MG34NZ
Admin

Postby Spike » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:45 pm

Hi Andrew
Thanks for the extra information,much appreciated.
I have seen a few grenades around in the past as ornaments,but have never seen one chromed.
I have tried to get my mate that owns the grenade to dechrome it and paint it,he's not keen,if he does I'll keep you posted.
Anyway mate,hope the new year brings us some treasures.

Regards
Spike
Spike

Return to Allied Weapons