Welcome
Welcome to <strong>militarianz</strong>.

You are currently viewing Militarianz as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

RUSTY RELIC REJUVINATION

Tips and advice on displaying and conserving collectables

RUSTY RELIC REJUVINATION

Postby MG34NZ » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:07 pm

I have been hunting around for some time for a good rust remover thats not to agressive and one that wont give you a nice glossy black finish on treated surfaces.
I was recomended "Evaporust" by a Kiwi on an overseas collecting forum.Had a look at the website for the product for a supplier and was unable to find anything local,also I have heard that others have had issues tracking this stuff down.
I found a supplyer via good old trademe and proceded to buy a one litre bottle,after it arrived ( Just a bit under light speed for delivery)I immersed my trial subject into the solution for about 12 hours and was very impressed with the results,I dipped a couple of WWII German rifle grenades that can be seen on the right of the photo and untreated examples on the left,astounding result and NO paint damage and ink stamps are also preserved. All in all a great product and meets all my requirements for killing rust and preserving original paint on ground dug items.
This is available direct from Ron Sperber at
Earthwhile Ltd
ph 021 33 10 99
a/h (09) 8322376
[email protected]

Give it a go its well worth it
MG34NZImageImage
looking to buy Grenades and Militaria
MG34NZ
Admin

Re: RUSTY RELIC REJUVINATION

Postby JK1945 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:28 pm

Looks like a good product, I wonder if it effects wood? (ie Bayo's)
WANTED: Heer/Luft Items: M42/43Caps, Wool/HBT Tunics, Field Gear etc, original K98 and anything Gebirgsjager.
JK1945

Postby MG34NZ » Sat Nov 28, 2009 1:40 pm

I dont know how you would get on there JK, I suspect its ok but the solution turns black as all the rust and filth comes off the item being cleaned,this I suspect will stain the wood but untill its been tried we wont know.a bit of experimentation before commiting a precious item would be recomended.As I said above its the cats whiskers for me with old ordanance items as theres no paint damage and the ink stamps are untouched
MG34NZ
looking to buy Grenades and Militaria
MG34NZ
Admin

Postby Rod W » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:21 pm

I hunted around for some of this stuff here in Melbourne several months ago and finally tracked some down way over the other side of town.
It was very strange how I got it. I had to go to a tool outlet pay my money then go to a factory a few kms away give them the order with proof of payment before receiving the product. This was then run out of a large barrel into the size container that I had paid for.
After going to all that bother I must say it worked like magic and requires no effort on your part.
The product itself is biodegradable so you can clean up in the sink.
It was not cheap but you can water it down to a degree to stretch it out and I found that you can reuse it until it gets too dirty.
I highly recommend this product for rust removal.
I just hope it becomes more easily available over time.

Regards
Rod
Rod W

Postby kiwiwreckdiver » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:01 pm

excellent looked it up on Trade me and Boom , DONE. Hope to use if on a bunch of German 2cm AA shells and loads of other ground dug stuff that's currently waiting it turn in oily rags, all dug up in Norway last year.
Thanks for the tip \
MISH
kiwiwreckdiver

Return to Conservation Tips