Welcome
Welcome to <strong>militarianz</strong>.

You are currently viewing Militarianz as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

Relics in New Zealand

Anything related to wrecks and dug up relics

Postby ironcross1 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:05 pm

Would be good to find those pits Nick , bit of lunch , metal detector great way to spend a saturday .Awesome cannister Ric , any history with it , cheers Raymond
ironcross1

Postby MG34NZ » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:08 pm

How did Ric and Timmy get on with that Bren carrier? was looking over a very nice one up here on saturday, well on its way to full restoration
looking to buy Grenades and Militaria
MG34NZ
Admin

Postby MG34NZ » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:10 pm

not to far down the road mate,was a runner in mid 1980's and now close to being running again, a very complete and original example.
looking to buy Grenades and Militaria
MG34NZ
Admin

Army dumps

Postby 43willys » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:47 pm

Like everybody else who has an interest in military stuff you hear the stories of tanks in barns, jeeps in sheds and buried guns. i have chased after many of these stories to find a tank in a barn is just a old piece of bren gun carrier track etc. But every now and then you hit the jackpot.

In the early 80's we heard stories of some bren gun carriers dumped in a swamp so off we went. we never found the carriers but we found more military equipment than you cound shake a stick at. on the first day in the swamp i bought home over 80 drill purpose 3 inch mortar bombs plus DP anti-tank mines, two inch mortar smoke bombs, cut away 303's, bren gun parts, Beza machine guns etc. Over the years we made many trips to this dump which was huge. Alot of the stuff was just rubbish but every third or fourth thing you would dig up was a good find. Other things we found were Mills bombs, Large calliber projectiles, some being so large we could not pull them out of the mud. alot of brass artillery sights still in their boxes, Bren drum mags and even a WW1 Maxum gun. In the 90's the army got wind of what we and others were doing and closed the place off and cleaned it out. But i have since seen some other guns turn up from this place. you never know what is out there. i do have some badly taken photos of some of this stuff and will hunt them out sometime.
43willys

Postby minerotago » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:19 pm

Further to atillathenunns - you are quite right when you say that Gillies bought all those trucks. A friend of mine was part of a syndicate who decided to purchase them but Gillies beat them to it. My cobber went up to Wellngton to examine them and took about three or four dozen photos of them all in the yards. I think that they were all GMCs or Fargos, Fords and Jeeps. Whatever they were I now possess all the photos of them in theyards prior to the sale. I loaned them to a member of a military vehicle club to publish in their magazine but dont know if that happened as that particular person died just after he returned my photos. I will see if I can find the photos and maybe put some on this site if any interest is shown and if I can find how to get them onto my computer - us oldies generally arent all that computer literate.
Particular interests in American civil war and western firearms, WWI and WWII fireams and militaria German and Allied except U.S., old ammunition. Buy, sell and trade items. Latest addition to interest - Japanese campaign medals, Italian medals.
minerotago

Postby gecko » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:34 pm

if you take your photos to any store that does photos like a kodak store they should be able to take a reasonable quality scan and put them on CD for you.
gecko

Postby minerotago » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:40 pm

I had a bit of a heart turn at Timmys comment re a Bren Gun Carrier rusting in a poaddock. I was given one over fifteen years ago and just after I was given it the farmer died. The new owners will not allow me to remove it and it still sits there in South Canterbury. The day it is removed is the day I report it stolen as it is still my property! I have told them now and again that I expect them to allow me to take it. At a meeting one day I walked in just as they were talking about 'their' Bren gun carrier and I corrected them publically. I did take all the tins from it when the old chap gave it to me so in the meantime I have them here at least!.
Particular interests in American civil war and western firearms, WWI and WWII fireams and militaria German and Allied except U.S., old ammunition. Buy, sell and trade items. Latest addition to interest - Japanese campaign medals, Italian medals.
minerotago

Postby 43willys » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:41 pm

Finnaly found some photos of a couple of dumps that we used to dig in, One dump was army equipment the other was WW2 aircraft parts.

43willys

Postby Fragman » Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:07 pm

Great photos. Thanks for sharing them. Cheers
Fragman

Postby magpie » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:16 pm

Recently talking to one of my customers in the King Country . now a parts manager .
He used to be a navy diver , said he had dived on tanks and vehichles ect in one of the Rotorua lakes , still there ? . and driven in by the yanks .
he mentioned he didnt hang around as they were quite unstable ect . but he reached out and removed the sediment of one of the tank barrels and the paint was mint .
His job was to check if any ordanance was still inside .
unfortunitly hes not one of my most talkative clients . i can see i have to bribe him with some cake for smoko
magpie

Postby NZPARA » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:15 pm

The Lake you are thinking of in Rotarua is call the Green lake. at the end of the war the yanks pushed off willies jeeps and trucks off a cliff into the green lake "no tanks" the problem being is that The lake is Tapu and the only place to get them ashore you need Maori permission which you wont get its been tried before. They are sitting in about 100 feet of water and beeing that its freash water they are in good nick.
NZPARA

Postby gecko » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:09 am

dam i was hoping it wasnt that lake being that im white and all, aint got a snowballs chance in h3ll now, and the money you would have to flash to get it done you would be better off buying a restored vechical.
gecko

Postby ironcross1 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:47 pm

Awesome Ken , wounder what other goodies are lying around there , cheers Raymond
ironcross1

Postby JK1945 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:00 pm

Yeah saw this over the weekend, alot of 88 parts.
WANTED: Heer/Luft Items: M42/43Caps, Wool/HBT Tunics, Field Gear etc, original K98 and anything Gebirgsjager.
JK1945

Re: Relics in New Zealand

Postby 2/1Kiwi » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:44 pm

There's an old quarry near Burnham, when we were kids we used to dig up old helmets, the blue metal water bottles and heaps of badges and buttons.

There's still a lot lying above ground but the area is closed off to the public.
2/1Kiwi

Previous

Return to Wrecks and relics