Welcome
Welcome to <strong>militarianz</strong>.

You are currently viewing Militarianz as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

New Zealand Volunteers cuff rank set

World War I uniforms go here

New Zealand Volunteers cuff rank set

Postby aussie jason » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:14 am

Hi all

Some time ago i picked up this set because the price was very good and it just felt and looked like a legit uniform. it also came with a XIII reinforcements peak cap (sorry if thats incorrect im not good with NZ items) But this looks later with black NEW ZEALAND FORCES buttons. The uniform appears to have had collar insignia at some point, wondering what would have originaly been there. Also any info on what period this uniform was used would be great. Sorry for all the questions! Any help will be greatly appreciated If anyones interested il post up my WW2 New zealand uniforms in the ww2 section.

Cheers
Jason

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

aussie jason

Re: New Zealand Volunteers cuff rank set

Postby nbroadarrowz » Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:24 pm

Jason,
A very nice uniform jacket.
This pattern was first worn in NZ in 1912 after introduction Territorial force system.
It was worn by Territorial Officers. Because the TF wore their rank on the cuff there was no need for shoulder straps. In 1913 an open collar version of this jacket was introduced and some were converted. Both these patterns of jacket was what was worn in the early stages of the war.
As for the buttons, they were using up old stock.
As the jacket was made in Hunterville you could add 7th Wellington West Coast Regiment collar badge to make it Infantry or Queen Alexandras's 2nd Wellington West Coast Mounted Rifle collars to make it a mounted jacket. Further research will have to be done to see what district Hunterville was in during the WW1 period. I like the idea of the 7th WWC regiment badges.
Are the holes verticle or horizintal? Can you provide a close up of the collar were the badges were.
Yes I would like to see all your WW2 NZ uniforms.

BArry
Student, Researcher, Author and collector of pre 1945 New Zealand militaria. Co- author 'New Zealand Army Personal Equipment 1910-1945'
ISBN 0-9582535-9-5. and 'New Zealand Army Uniforms and Clothing 1910-1945 'ISBN 9781877427190'
nbroadarrowz

Postby aussie jason » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:22 am

Hi Barry,

Thank you very much! I have taken some pictures of the collar as requested, the holes sit low on the collar and are 2cms apart. Also have been doing some research and im pretty certain that the peak cap that came with this tunic is unrelated as it has the green underside to the brim and the chinstrap has a slider on only one side making it a EM model?
Again thank you for your help!

Jason

aussie jason

Postby nbroadarrowz » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:51 pm

Jason,
The badge that has holes with this profile could be a number of units. A hands on instection and a little educated guess work could see it restored.
Barry
Student, Researcher, Author and collector of pre 1945 New Zealand militaria. Co- author 'New Zealand Army Personal Equipment 1910-1945'
ISBN 0-9582535-9-5. and 'New Zealand Army Uniforms and Clothing 1910-1945 'ISBN 9781877427190'
nbroadarrowz

Postby Rod W » Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:24 pm

Hi Jason,
You have two wonderful finds there (pre WW1 & WW2).
You found them here in Australia! That must be rare in it self. Well done and thanks for sharing.
Regards
Rod
PS A warm welcome to the forum. You will find lots of talented and helpful people here.
Rod W

Postby aussie jason » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:07 am

Thank you! il have to see if i can track down a few examples.
Hi Rod, thanks. It definetly looks like theres allot of very knowledgable people on here. I figured now im back from OS i should get back into it a bit more. Was definetly lucky finding these over here, it was a bit of a fluke!
aussie jason

Postby jimmyduncan23 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:07 am

Hay guys what would a jacket like this be worth. I have no clue of ww1 items value
jimmyduncan23

Postby nbroadarrowz » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:33 am

Do you have one for sale?
any chance of photos?
Price depends on a number of factors.
BArry
nbroadarrowz

Return to WWI uniforms