Welcome
Welcome to <strong>militarianz</strong>.

You are currently viewing Militarianz as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, <a href="/profile.php?mode=register">join our community today</a>!

WW1 Water Bottles

Fieldgear/equipment of World War I

WW1 Water Bottles

Postby sigcollector » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:09 pm

Hi

Can people post some colour examples of WW1 Water Bottles they have.

Regards Jonathan
WANTED
WW1 Signals items Mounted Signal Troop. NZE and Divisional Signals.

"All my mates ever got were wooden crosses" Corporal Cyril Bassett VC
sigcollector

Re: WW1 Water Bottles

Postby Rod W » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:14 pm

Hi Jonathan,

I take it you mean Commonwealth water bottles?

I have several examples of WW1 ones, in particular one that was known to have been carried by an officer on Gallipoli. Sadly I cannot post them for you at present as we are having technical difficulties with our computer. I will try to post an example or two if you still need them when everything is back in working order maybe in a couple of weeks.

Regards
Rod
Rod W

Postby sigcollector » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:47 am

Hi Rod yes Commonwealth water bottles.
When you get he chance post your examples, that would be great.

Regards Jonathan
WANTED

sigcollector

Postby Rod W » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:58 pm

Hi Jonathan,
Here are a couple of examples of WW1 water bottles.Image

This bottle belonged to a 23 year old captain in the 23rd Australian Infantry Battalion. He served on Gallipoli and was killed in action. Among his effects that were sent home was his water bottle. Note the unusual colour of the cover and the rounded shoulders that have no seam joining the top to the bottom, a common feature of WW1 bottles.
Rod W

Postby Rod W » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:01 pm

I picked the following example up for A$2 in May this year while touring Tasmania with my wife.

Rod W

Postby Rod W » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:23 pm

The final example I have posted is from WW2. It was used by a Lieutenant in the 7th Division Australian Army Service Corps whilst serving in Tobruk.
This example has the prominent seam around the top edge where the top joins the main body of the bottle but retains the rounded shape of the top leading up to the spout. Later WW2 bottles had flat tops across to the spout from the seam.
I tend to call these bottles 'transitional'. This is purely my own nomenclature and as such is speculation. I have a gut feeling that bottles of this design were produced during WW1 too, maybe later in the war??? I too would love further information on this point.

I have never made a study of our water bottles. The above are mere observations that I have made over the years from
bottles with a known provenance. Others may have more detailed knowledge of manufacturers, designs, quantities produced etc

Regards

Rod
Last edited by Rod W on Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rod W

Postby Rod W » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:30 pm

One more WW1 example.

This example has a split in the seam of its cover so that a portion of the enamelled rounded top is exposed to view.
Rod W

Postby sigcollector » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:11 pm

Hi Rod

Your MS pattern water bottle is very nice and named, hard to find better than that.

I hope this is of some help to you

Covers: (covers, felt, drab) in various shades of brown/pinky/ginger.

In 1933 thin khaki drab. (covers, cloth, drab). Came out to replace the above.
Some Mark V1 bottles were recovered, as we see them today.- so WW1 bottles but with WW2 covers.

The blue enameled Mark V1 was approved in 1903, lipped bottom, & a pressed top.

Some companies that did not have pressing capabilities, so we get lipped tops & bottoms, flat bottoms war 14-18 production Variants.

The cork string should be sewn under the cover, if it has a steel ring with the cord attached it is a later bottle.

I will add some pics of my bottles

Regards Jonathan
WANTED

sigcollector

Postby Rod W » Sun Aug 08, 2010 6:44 pm

Thanks Jonathan for your help. I thought I would add the following for what it is worth.

These are a couple of Australian Boer War bottles with my Tobruk bottle.
I have included them to illustrate the colour of their covers. These bottles date from 1899-1900.
I believe the Tobruk bottle and its cover to be a re issued item from stores dating from WW1. This bottle was issued to the original owner in 1940.

I have realised that I have forgotten much of what I knew about water bottles years and years ago. Your comment about string attachment reminded me about that point and other details such as them being designated P’03 Mk6 and that British bottles early in WW2 changing to green enamel etc etc.

Previously I mentioned that the top seam bottles may be a late WW1 design.
On reflection I realise that another example of a Gallipoli bottle that I know of is seamed top and bottom and has a woollen felt cover much the same colour as my Tobruk one. (A lesson for me. Always ponder your answers before committing yourself. I am a terrible gas bag and often get into trouble for talking too much.)

Australian issued bottles in WW1 definitely had the green/grey-green covers as well as the colours you mentioned in your previous post. I have seen a green cover date stamped 1918. Also Australian troops like New Zealander’s would have been reissued from British stocks as necessary and therefore would have carried a variety of colours and designs.
I know British soldiers often had lighter coloured covers on their bottles.
I seem to remember seeing light coloured bottle covers in the shops in New Zealand when I was there 25 years ago.
I guess different places in the Commonwealth produced different items, not to mention the differences between manufacturers within the one country.

My final photo just for interest is of an unissued Australian made WW2 cover with its stamp relatively clearly seen.

Regards

Rod
Rod W

Postby sigcollector » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:46 pm

Hi Rod

Thanks for posting your water bottles
The Boar War water bottles are very Germanic in appearance

Your top bottle appears to conform to the British pattern for WW1 maker being of thick Felt rather than serge cloth.
Is the carrier Australian made or British?.

As for the shades of colour, I am sure many existed the difference is in the material, thick Felt rather than serge cloth.

As for the others they look like Cloth covers .
I do not no much about the Manufacture of Australian water Bottles.

From Information I have seen, New Zealand was not Manufacturing Water bottles during the first world war.
So we must have used British made bottles.

WW2 Canadian water bottles still retained the O.P felt covers but have a metal ring for the stopper cord attachment, these may have been the light coloured bottles you saw.
They are quite plentiful around here, some still retain the ink stamps with dates like 1942-3. They most likely arrived with all the Canadian made webbing we received.

The Mark V11 was introduced in 1939 enameling to green with the cord tied to the metal eye.

The 2NZEF must have departed with old stocks of WW1 pattern bottles, until they were used up.

Regards Jonathan
WANTED

sigcollector

Postby sigcollector » Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:09 pm

Hi

Here are some of my examples

First an example of a Mark V1 of the1903 pattern

Next a New Zealand marked with broard arrow and New Zealand Defence stamp c 1914-1916 oval type. It has a lipped top so it is a production Variant.

This bottle came with no carrier it was in a box of bottles that had been recovered in serge covers with draw strings and never used. it has a small cut mark on the bottom, where they stared to cut the cover off, thankfully it never was finished.

The next pic is of it in a WW1 dated M.S carrier, one day I may find a NZ marked one, I dream...

Another lipped topped production Variant.
It has the fade marks of once being in a MS carrier, it is 1915 dated with a shield shaped stamp to the bottom.

More to follow
Last edited by sigcollector on Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WANTED

sigcollector

Postby Rod W » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:26 pm

Some nicely marked examples Jonathan.
You asked about the country of origin of my Gallipoli veteran's water bottle. I had a close look at the leather frame but the manufacturers stamp is indistinct. Something and something. But I did find a date that I was unaware was there. It is dated 1904. Not a bad date for a 1903 pattern item. It may be a little too indistinct to photograph but if I get a chance to do so and if it shows up anything I will try to post it here over the weekend.
I have little doubt that this bottle has originated in England but as I have said before I have never made a study of them.
Regards
Rod
Rod W

Postby Bugler » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:59 pm

Hi
One of mine is somewhat different than those shown above altough it's in poor condition
It has the pressed oval top and lipped base but is olive green in colour with a metal eye for the cord, has a leather carrier different to those above also
No markings that I can see and I am reluctant to remove anything to check further as it's quite fragile
Any thoughts ?
ImageImage
Looking for items related to NZ 9th Heavy Coast Regiment (WW2), WW1 NZ Feild Artillery especially Ammunition Column, 15th North Auckland and Aust 18th Batt, 2nd Div Signals and 34th Batt
Bugler

Postby sigcollector » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:23 pm

Hi
Interesting.....
The first like this I have seen before.
Stocks of the O.P (Old Pattern) felt covers must have been used.
It must be ahe Mark V11 bottle having green enameling with metal eye. but with a O.P felt cover.

Regards jonathan
WANTED

sigcollector

Postby Bugler » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:38 pm

Hi Jonathon
Yes, I'm inclined to think the same now
I've always thought it WW1 vintage going by the oval top and the leather carrier ....but it now appears not going by the green enamel and the eye ring
We live and learn...
Cheers
Looking for items related to NZ 9th Heavy Coast Regiment (WW2), WW1 NZ Feild Artillery especially Ammunition Column, 15th North Auckland and Aust 18th Batt, 2nd Div Signals and 34th Batt
Bugler

Next

Return to WWI equipment